Sunday, July 30, 2006

Saying something

I've been writing. Honestly. I just can't finish anything.

I have slept until I can't sleep anymore, which leads to terrible nights where I'm frantic with worry over meaningless problems.

I'm finishing up some revisions on a paper, so while I'm spending time at the laptop, writing for work is surprisingly more appealing than writing for fun.

I'm not fond of myself lately - I'm either vicious and irritable or mopey and depressing. While I have documented such instances in the past, I hesitate to do so again because... Well, I don't really know.

Here's part of it. Awhile ago, I made some friends who read this. That was nice. New, interesting, all that good stuff. Then email slowed or ceased, and said friends stopped reading. Which is fine and understandable. I was telling Charlie that I appreciate cycles of readers because my problems are so damn constant. It's not difficult to keep up, right? I don't have an overall plan at work - I'd probably like to leave in a year or two, so I'm frustrated with my lack of quick progress. I'm alone, but doing nothing to fix that situation. I believe in God, but don't talk to Him so much lately. I have a family I adore, but they live relatively far away. Same goes with friends.

But nothing changes. In knowing that someone could read for a month and pretty much know all there is to know, I'm apathetic. Feel like I'm telling the same basic stories with slight twists for new people.

Added to that is I don't like thinking too much lately. Would rather be mindlessly busy than cuddled in thoughts of what I want and where I'm going and what I've learned. It just seems pointless right now.

I sent email to Dryden saying I felt disconnected. Keep trying to act based upon what seemed appropriate. If I looked at something or someone and thought, "It seems like I should care about that." then I'd simply act as though I did.

This blog has been important to me. It seems like I should care that I won't finish anything to post. So I'm saying something to indicate that I might care a little bit.

It's shockingly difficult though. So I'm left feeling frustrated because I should be able to do this! It's not assigned or graded, so why can't I just write? It's just not there, folks. I can't seem to connect with anything or anyone for long enough for it to be meaningful.

It seems like that should make me sad.

6 comments:

phd me said...

I may be way out of line but I'm thinking you have very high expectations of your blog. I can see why: you are a beautiful writer, you craft interesting and moving posts, you obviously think seriously about what you want to say before you post. Call me crazy but that's a lot of pressure! Write fluff. Be redundant. Share the humdrum. Avoid the meaningful. We don't care. I promise.

post-doc said...

You're not out of line at all. I can't help but think of my posts as mostly fluff though - it's just really wordy and I take it too seriously. :) I don't know why I've been struggling to talk lately. I'm sure I'm a bit depressed, but the distance between me and everything else is strange.

Part of the problem though is that I really enjoy what so many of you write. So I really hesitate to post stuff that even I don't care about.

I should get better soon though. Really.

apparently said...

I agree with Phd Me - write about what you had for dinner. It doesn't have to have any meaning. Don't know about you, but when I talk to my mom or sister - it doesn't necessarily have a point. We just chat.

Having said that, I feel the same about my own blog so I go for days with saying nothing rather than talk about nothing.

Lucy said...

I would be happy to read anything you write, but if you don't feel like writing, you don't have to. We don't want you getting sick of it here because you're forcing yourself to write :)
I think I always write about the same stuff, too, but I'm hoping at some point I'll be able to look back and see some small change over a longer period of time.
I'm sorry you're feeling disconnected. I'm struggling with that, too.

ScienceWoman said...

Writing your blog shouldn't feel like an obligation, it should feel like a pleasurable activity, a release, a distraction. I struggle with the obligatory feelings that come with a regular (and expanding) readership. I haven't come up with a perfect solution...I guess all I can suggest is either stop writing for a while (everyone takes a blog vacation at some point) or do something to make the writing fun (for you) again...do a few memes, write fluff, change your template, make linky posts to the writing you enjoy (yours and others)...

Here's hoping that you find a way out of the funk. But we'll be patient.

(hugs)

MapleMama said...

First of all, Katie - I love your blog. You have a wonderful writing style that I completely enjoy reading.

Secondly - I don't think your posts have been "fluff" at all. I find them to be introspective; an honesty that not many people can achieve.

Third - we all wonder why we're blogging at times. I'm completely new to it, but still can't determine precisely why I started. I can't fathom how the 242 people who have visited my website could possibly have gotten there! I tend to write exactly as I speak, so I also accept there are folks out there who are just dying to take a red pen and make editorial comments all over my blog!

The short of it all - keep writing if you want to - no matter the topic. There are those of us how are enjoying it immensely.

PS - Thanks for being one of those kind enough to visit my blog, and for leaving a comment!

Post a Comment