Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Whimper

I woke up this afternoon in the hallway. I woke up with a migraine and, eager to get to the office, I decided to take an Advil and walk Chienne regardless. I stumbled into the house afterward, eager to get out of the heat and away from the icky smells. Some people are bothered by lights and noise, but smells are more likely to trigger sickness for me.

I can't remember a time I didn't struggle with headaches. Before my enduring love affair with OTC pain meds began, I'd spend days in endless misery. Headaches would lead to stomach problems which lead nowhere good. So ever since childhood, I'd make pitiful noises and Mom would rub my back and coax me into taking something.

I tried going back to bed, but couldn't get comfortable. So I camped out on the couch, TV playing softly to offer some distraction, and rested. I watched the clock for 30 minutes, waiting until it was time to take more pills. My house isn't all that big - it took me no more than 6 steps to get to the bathroom - and I sort of remember finding the bottle of medication. I'm not sure if I passed out a little bit or just decided the extra 4 steps to the bedroom was overwhelming, but Chienne nuzzled me awake about an hour later.

I made my 'still sleeping!' noise at her - she knows it well - and cuddled in next to me. Then I realized I was really uncomfortable, and blinked until she came into focus.

"Why are we in the hall? On the floor?" I asked her, confused. She offered little insight. So I wandered back to the couch and went back to sleep under a soft blanket. I'm feeling slightly better, but there's still that pressure just behind the painkiller buffer. So I did very little today - sent email and read blogs when I felt functional, just let time pass when I didn't.

So, if you haven't already guesed, this is my wordy way of saying I have very little to say today.

6 comments:

Lucy said...

I hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Funny how the floor is always comfortable until you wake up.

Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Doug

Repressed Librarian said...

Sorry about the migraine--I know how awful those can be. I hope you feel better soon.

Lisa said...

I'm a migraine sufferer. I feel your pain. Literally. Have you tried to get a prescription for (I have to run downstairs to the medicine cabinet to look at the name, be back in a minute) Frova?
It works for me. Do you throw up? I do. It sucks. Good luck,
V of F

ceresina said...

That's awful -- you passed out from the pain?? I don't have migraines, so I don't know if this is a ridiculous question, but can a doctor proscribe anything stronger than an OTC?
I hope you're feeling better when you read this. Heck, I hope you're feeling better when I write it.

Mon said...

Oh Dear--I hope you are feeling better today.

Post a Comment